Thursday, July 31, 2008

It Isn't Easy Being Green...

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
-Julius H. Marx

In a presidential election does a candidates color matter? Should it matter?

I think it should and it does. Now, I'm not referring to any colors of the human palette. This isn't a racial issue.

I'm referring to the color green. No, not that environmental green that everyone panders to today.

I'm talking about that green as a pickle color of inexperience.

Senator Obama wows the crowds and talks a great game but what has he done? What big state like California, Texas or Illinois has he run?

What major company or institution bears the mark of his expertise and experience? I can't think of any either.

I am no fan of Senator Hillary Clinton, but she was right on the mark with that ad featuring the ringing red phone at 3AM.

But he's the next Jack Kennedy they say. Right. I remember him, isn't he that guy that was banging Marilyn and all those Mafia hookers. Yeah, the guy who was so buzzed up on pain killers that he orchestrated that stunning victory at the Bay of Pigs. You know the guy that woke up one morning, realized that he had banned Cuban cigars and dispatched Pierre Salinger to round up as many as he could before it went into effect.

OK, get your brains blown out in the back of a Buick and you become the sainted martyr and example of presidential timber forever in the misty memories of time.

Remember Lloyd Bentsen's barb at Dan Quayle- Senator I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. You're no Jack Kennedy. Well hell, Jack Kennedy was no Jack Kennedy and niether is Senator Obama.

So, who's left? Now I admire John McCains patriotism, character and leadership but do we have to settle for the AARP poster boy for leadership of the free world?

Somehow I don't think the cream is rising to the top.

Let's all write in Robin Williams for president.

No comments: